Tourism Vernon is making a concerted effort to harness the power of the editorial pen (keyboard) for our City. What someone else says about Vernon far outweighs what we say about ourselves and as such Tourism Vernon has already teed up over 20 media visits for this season! Our goal is to increase that number as well as facilitate story development through attending Go Media in hte fall and establishing ongoing dialogue with key travel journalists and bloggers.
We are very fortunate to work with such a great group of tourism stakeholders here in Vernon and again, it is our privilege to bring media hosting opportunities to you. Ensuring that these guests have an amazing stay and are overwhelmed with our city’s beauty and hospitality is key to a positive article, blog or review. Destination BC offers some great tips through their Tourism Business Essentials Series on Hosting Travel Media and Travel Media Relations.
Travel Media Relations done right can result in hundreds of thousands of dollars of earned media exposure that we could never afford to purchase and we are thrilled with the results of our efforts already this year – including Sparkling Hill Resort and Tourism Vernon on CTV Morning Live!
We look forward to forthcoming editorial from the following journalists hosted by Tourism Vernon and our valued stakeholders this Spring.
- Mark Nathan Fong, hosted on January 6th to do story development on Wellness, Food and Outdoor themes, for Boulevard (Chinese Lifestyle), International Taste & Travel and the Vancouver Sun.
- Craig Oliver, hosted on January 14th to develop a story on Health, Wellness and travel for Destination Spas of America, as well as a piece for HappyHourBC.com
- Kat Tanock, hosted on January 21st for a Vernon inclusion in an Okanagan food story for Ricardo Magazine.
- Jennifer Cockrall-King, hosted on January 28th, to develop her story for inclusion in a coffee table style book – Food Artisans of the Okanagan Valley.
- Destination BC Apres Ski Media Event at Silver Star on February 4th, including:
- Rebecca Bowllit, the one and the same Miss604, devloping a blog post for the popular Miss604 Blog in the Lower Mainland;
- Stephanie Florian, writing for Snowshoe Magazine;
- Kathy Buckworth, writing for Parents Canada and Sirius/XM Canada’s “What She Said” Show;
- Margo Pfeiff, writing for the San Francisco Chronicle, LA Times and Globe and Mail;
- Mark Sissons, freelance journalist.
We have numerous more journalists en route and look forward to all the editorial being developed for this great destination of ours! We are thrilled to have showcased over 15 tourism partners thus far, including, Okanagan Spirits, Planet Bee, The BX Press, Bella Stella Cheese Farm, Olive Us, Eclectic Med, Italian Kitchen, Al Brooks Nature Centre, Nature’s Fare, The Scenic Sip, Triple Island Cheese Farm, Nature’s Fare, Bean to Cup, Silver Star Mountain Resort, Davison Orchards, Crush, Naked Pig, Prestige Inn and Fairfield Inn & Suites and look forward to incorporating visits to many more!
We are already tracking a reach of over 689,000 and earned media exposure of $65,000 and have only just begun!