Every year the Tourism Vernon team spends a large amount of time on the road and in the field, making sure we are getting Vernon to the forefront of the tourism industry at a multitude of engagement, consultative, networking and promotional opportunities. We are at select and key consumer and industry shows and events, putting our city and your businesses in the spotlight and increasing tourism to Vernon.
Take a look at just some of the events we’ve hosted and/or attended over the last six months, as well as a sneak preview of some of the upcoming events where we will be present to put Vernon in the spotlight and top of mind for trade, media and travellers:
- We have hosted 25 media activities – FAMs and media hosted events – thus far in 2017.
- We have generated 72 media stories thus far in 2017, with a collective audience of 1.258 billion and an earned media value of $4,619,960!
- We hosted an industry FAM in May 2017, where we shared Vernon’s hidden gems with front line staff and rediscovered favourites with new updates in a ‘Best of Vernon VIP Tour’.
- We hosted an immensely popular TV show host in Vernon and region in June 2017, which will see the following business showcased nationally on CTV: Sparkling Hill Resort; The Historic O’Keefe Ranch; Kalamalka Lake; Oyama Zipline; the entire Vernon region in general. Watch this space to see who it is!
- We are hosting a DNA Workshop on June 20, 2017, to collaborate and work together on how best to market Vernon going forward.
- We attended the Travel & Words – Northwest Travel Writer’s Conference in April 2017 in Salem, OR.
- We attended the Travel Media Association of Canada (TMAC) Conference & AGM in Québec City, May 2017, where we met with over 20 journalists/media.
- Together with Tourism Kamloops we hosted a Calgary media dinner, attended by 10 journalists.
- Together with Sparkling Hill and SilverStar Mountain Resort we hosted 14 media at a Vancouver dinner.
- We attended the BC Destination Marketing Organization Association Annual Meeting in Vancouver in early June 2017.
- In August 2017, we attended a trade show sponsored by Destination BC, ‘Explore BC’, at the River Rock Show Theatre, where 13 cities/regions (including Vernon) met over 100 tour operators, giving them an opportunity to learn about new BC focused tour and FIT tourism products and activities.
- In September 2017, together with Destination BC, we will be hosting 10 agents from China on a Travel Trade FAM called ‘Follow Me To BC’.
- We will be attending GoMedia Canada 2017 in Halifax in October 2017.
- In partnership with Destination Canada and TOTA (Thompson Okanagan Tourist Association), we will be hosting a Canada Mega FAM in October 2017, with 22 agents from around the globe in attendance.
- In November of 2017 we will be hosting Fall dinners for media in Seattle, Vancouver and Calgary.
Looking ahead to 2018
We have already confirmed we will be attending:
- Canada Media Marketplace 2018 – San Francisco, April 9-11
- Travel & Words – Northwest Travel Writers Conference 2018 – Yakima, WA, Convention Center, April 22-24
As you know, putting a face to our beautiful city is incredibly important for continued tourism growth and it is our sincere honour and privilege to be that face for you. We thank you for your continued support in our combined efforts to market our city and your businesses and products, which collectively make Vernon such a great tourism destination.